I’ve been in a little time crunch lately (or is that always? haha), so I needed something quick but healthy for lunch today…bring on a basic tuna salad – fast, simple and high in protein!
The general structure I follow for any tuna salad is:
- Canned (or fresh cooked) tuna – I used Trader Joe’s No Salt Added (you can also substitute chicken, tofu, etc)
***1 – 4oz can contains 26g of protein with only 120 calories and 70mg of sodium!
- Veggies – I used Trader Joe’s Healthy 8 Chopped Veggie Mix, which has red and green cabbage, carrots, broccoli, jicama, bell peppers, radishes and celery (using diced celery and red or green onion is another common choice for me, but involves more prep time;)
- Plain greek yogurt – I used Fage 0%
- Mustard – I used Trader Joe’s Spicy Brown Deli Mustard
- Spices and herbs to taste – I added fresh dill and black pepper today (this is where you can get crafty…one thing I really like is adding curry powder to chicken salad)
Exact quantities for each are really flexible depending on taste, but as reference, for one serving I used 1 – 4oz can of tuna, ~3/4c veggies, ~3T (1/4 of a 6oz container) greek yogurt, ~2T mustard and ~1/2T mayo…
Then all you have to do is simply mix all the ingredients together until evenly distributed and you’re done! If you want to be more precise, you can combine the wet ingredients first and pour over the tuna/veggie mix, but I usually go for time efficiency instead haha.
This is a perfect addition to a salad (my choice for today:), toasted bread or even just straight out of the bowl!
Also, this recipe is one I plan to keep experimenting with when I have more time and ingredients on hand, so stay tuned:)